Universe System Administrator
: Full-time Employee/Exempt/Salaried
Director of Information Services
The Colorado Hospital Association (CHA) represents all types of hospitals throughout Colorado: private and government-operated, metropolitan and rural, investor-owned and not-for-profit. Our members care for more than 471,000 people in general, academic, specialty and rehabilitation hospitals. More than 8 million outpatient visits - including surgeries, home healthcare and emergency room visits - were recorded. With more than 55,000 people employed (full-time equivalents) and a combined payroll and benefits of more than $3.3 billion, Colorado hospitals are important to the state as major economic and employment contributors as well as health care providers.
As the Universe System Administrator, this individual will be a key member of the CHA technical support team with the key responsibility of supporting our Discharge Data program running on Universe databases on a Windows 2003/2008 Server Environment. This individual will be responsible for installation and upgrading of Universe, Redback, System Builder+, and MITS software. They will also need knowledge of debugging and rebuilding of indexes within a Universe database. This individual will also respond to product application and technical support questions from hospital members using CHA's iCHART software. In this Tier One role, this person will focus on taking incoming calls from CHA members to provide technical, functional and education support to end users with the goal of diagnosing, troubleshooting and resolving basic to intermediate software issues. As an individual contributor in this role, keys to the person's success include displaying a superior customer service orientation in every interaction with end users, strong analytical and problem solving skills resulting in first-time resolution and excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities during peak volume times.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Candidates must have an understanding of TPC/IP and networking skills.
- System administration background within a Windows Server environment.
- Firewall configuration experience necessary. Watch Guard firewall experience a plus.
- At least 5 years of experience installing and upgrading Universe databases.
- Knowledge of data encryption and Hi Tech HIPAA regulations.
- Displays strong customer service orientation in all customer communication, using professional, courteous, and tactful communication and problem-solving skills driving high post-inquiry customer satisfaction.
- Field Health Information Management (HIM) related questions from CHA members including but not limited to those dealing with claims, DRGs, monthly data submissions and edits reports,
- Process the daily submission of discharge data by member hospitals. Closely monitors errors rates of submitted data; and maintains an up to date schedule of data submissions by hospital.
- Perform quarterly closeout of Discharge Data, including quarterly reports and database updates via CD ROMs.
- Develop and maintain relationships with HIM contacts in all member hospitals.
- Assist the Director of Information Services with end user documentation and user's manual.
- Perform basic database queries to validate and verify accuracy of Discharge Data submissions.
- Functions as a high performing team member, using open communication, professionalism and acceptance of individual accountability to drive trust across members of team.
- Provide quality desktop support to CHA employees, including support for all related hardware, printing, applications, wireless networks and training facilities.
- Proficiency in the setup, installation and maintenance of desktop systems operating systems, applications and hardware.
- Support CHA employees with all communications based software, including Outlook, Exchange, and iMIS association management software.
- Contact hospitals that are late in their monthly data submission; and elevate non submissions notifications as per policy.
- Actively participate in IT Tech group meetings.
- Work with the Discharge data department to identify areas of inefficiency and develop processes and tools to address these areas.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience required (unless otherwise noted):
- Associate's degree ideally in computer science, information services, or equivalent in work experience
- Previous experience in the healthcare industry is preferred.
- Experience with Software Application Troubleshooting and Microsoft Office products.
- Familiarity with Windows Operating Systems (XP, Vista, 7) Hardware Networks and Connectivity Tools.
- Effective interpersonal skills (written and oral) and the ability to communicate effectively with a variety of staff levels.
- Practical experience with databases. Experience with multi-valued databases preferred.
- Demonstrates a warm, friendly and positive demeanor.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills and attention to reporting accuracy.
- Excellent organization skills, and ability to manage multiple projects and competing tasks/priorities
Physical Demands / Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Working conditions are normal for a fast-paced office work environment.
- Requires occasional overnight travel and weekend and/or evening work.
- Presentation of technical material in group settings required occasionally.
- Mid-level stress.
- Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed.
- Requires walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods through out the day.
- May include lifting up to 25 pounds for files on a regular basis. Proper lifting techniques required.
Material and Equipment Directly Used:
- Personal computer with Microsoft Office software applications.
- Software applications including Discharge Data collection and processing application (iCHART).
- Multi-line telephone with voice mail.
- Copy machine.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job. The employee will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by their supervisor. Nothing in this job description shall create or is intended to create, or shall be construed to constitute a contract of employment, express or implied. Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.
The position is located in Greenwood Village, CO. Please send resume and salary requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org . No telecommuting.